Friday's Meeting: Nada

Started by Buzz, September 16, 2023, 01:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz I understand ur point but you only quote half of my comment.
I know the demographic has changed and as you can see in my entire comment for the most part I say don't worry about the Senior Members and "get the "new hires" as much as possible."

Buzz

I understand. I was referring to your statement, "why would they give us what we ourselves have ratified and given to them over the past three contracts."

Just pointing out that the guys who passed those contracts are no longer the ones in control.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

sbdriver1

This is what I believe is going to happen. At the last possible moment an agreement will be made,and the union leaders will go to the members and say "this is the best we  can do and the contract should be signed"

Buzz

@sbdriver1 - Yep that's the way it usually happens, which I don't understand. For months you hear, "They don't want to give us anything" or "They're not bargaining in good faith" then all of a sudden *POOF* we have an MOA.

You mean to tell me they couldn't agree on ANYTHING all along then all of a sudden it all came together in one last meeting? I don't believe it and it's always bugged me why they will not keep us apprised of any progress, no matter how little.

But, once the coalition has given their best and final offer, the union has no choice but to present it to us. They CANNOT tell you to vote for it. That is your choice, so long as you understand it's either ratify the contract or go on strike. That is the ONLY alternative. There is NO going back to the table. Ratify or strike ... the choice is yours and yours alone.

PROUD MEMBER

R u sure they're no longer in charge?!?!?

PROUD MEMBER

I don't know if I understand what ur saying or if I don't understand what the President can do or not do.
My understanding and correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have any voice anymore. We already gave the Reps the authority to Strike, so if they are offered a "Best and Final Offer" and don't agree with it I don't think they will ask us if we like it or not. I believe that they will just tell us that we're going out.

Buzz

You may be right ... I'll check on that.

Back in 2013 we were "convinced" by our shop steward / union that this was it and we should take it. It was terrible advice then, and we are paying for it now. All of our future compensation and benefits (retired members) will eventually have to be reduced because the shortage of members contributing over the last 10 years. In simpler terms, Pensions are in jeopardy!!!

As for the extra work, drivers will not stop doing it until the union tells us all not to do it. And some will still do it.

Buzz

Quote from: 04012013 on September 17, 2023, 09:42:46 PMBack in 2013 we were "convinced" by our shop steward / union that this was it and we should take it. It was terrible advice then, and we are paying for it now.

We had just come off a ridiculous strike. The only other alternative would have been to go on strike again. Obviously there were not enough people willing to do that or they would have voted against the contract.

The problem was we should never have ended the strike without a new contract in place.  I voiced that concern to our then vice-president and the response was, "We'll cross that bridge when we come  to it."

Wrong response.

PROUD MEMBER

And back in 2013 when we went on Strike it was ALL 1181 school bus drivers and matrons, that before the Strike were all working under one contract. If we go out now it will only be those of us whose contract expired in June.
Unfortunately not a good thing for us.

Slowbus

Nada de nada esta union es un órgano de reproducción femenino  :snicker:

Buzz

QuoteNada de nada esta union es un órgano de reproducción femenino  :snicker:

Como dije antes, es obvio que nunca has pasado por una huelga.  ;D