Small Windfall Coming Our Way

Started by Buzz, November 30, 2023, 02:41:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

As you probably know, our raises are retroactive to last July 1. We're supposed to get that on the 3rd payday following ratification, which was yesterday.

So I figure ... very roughly ... we've worked about 12 weeks so far, 480 hours. Multiply that by the hourly increase and it's a tidy sum. For those at top pay I figure nearly $700.

And one of our more astute members questioned one of the delegates about the hour overtime pay for those with late outs ... which, according to the delegate ... is also supposed to be retro. Our always-thinking member calculates roughly that 12 weeks time 4 days ... 4 hours per week ... 48 hours total ... at a pay rate of $25/hour, would yield $1200. (And that's in addition to their hourly increase.)

Merry Christmas!
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

J.T.

Buzz

Quote from: J.T. on November 30, 2023, 01:05:34 PMPoor matrons what a shame 🤬

I agree. The union really tried. It was because or trying to negotiate for better pay for matrons that made it so long to come to an agreement. The city wouldn't budge siting "budget cuts" ... and I don't have to tell you for what. I guess there's not enough of a shortage of matrons to make it a priority.

mirrorcheck

Buzz someone in the same board as me that covered a school and asked the union if we would
Be paid and were told "after the signing of the contract the extra hour would be paid from then on ". Not trying to stir the pot trying to get an answer if you covered this will it be paid as Retro ....
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

Quote from: mirrorcheck on November 30, 2023, 04:03:59 PMBuzz someone in the same board as me that covered a school and asked the union if we would
Be paid and were told "after the signing of the contract the extra hour would be paid from then on ". Not trying to stir the pot trying to get an answer if you covered this will it be paid as Retro ....

You are talking about the hour for the late out, right?

By all means, STIR THE POT. The rep who told our driver that it was retro was not one of our delegates. I just got off the phone with John Cleary (one of our delegates) and he thinks that it is NOT retro. He is going to double check and call me back with a definitive answer.

So stirring the pot is good to get to the bottom of questions like this. I'll let you know when I hear from John. (BTW, he thinks we only have 2 runs that this applies to.)

mirrorcheck

Ok just to be clear I'm talking about 4:30 or later schools . Are we talking about the thing?

I'm assuming your Run AND any run covered as your hours will be paid in full for balance of said raises you get? On that I was told it's all your hours for both covers and picked runs get paid .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

Yes ... we're talking about the 4:30-plus outs ... Just heard back from John and apparently the delegate (Joe Micciulli) that our inquiring driver talked to IS CORRECT. All wages ... including that additional hour ... are retro and any owner that balks will be taken to arbitration. I think that answers both of your concerns.

mirrorcheck

Thank you for the clarification. I appreciate it !!!

PROUD MEMBER

Even though the 1 hour pay for the 4;30 and after is a good thing for some and as you said it only applies to a few runs. I know there is one Jewish school with a 4:45 out.
But here's the bad news for some others. I ASSUME that this new contract nullifies any past contracts and/or agreements in the past. And here's what I'm referring to. In the past any runs with a dismissal time of 5:00pm or later got 2 hours pay.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on December 01, 2023, 09:16:24 AMEven though the 1 hour pay for the 4;30 and after is a good thing for some and as you said it only applies to a few runs. I know there is one Jewish school with a 4:45 out.
But here's the bad news for some others. I ASSUME that this new contract nullifies any past contracts and/or agreements in the past. And here's what I'm referring to. In the past any runs with a dismissal time of 5:00pm or later got 2 hours pay.

Yes, someone (maybe more than one) is getting 2 hours. I'll take your word that it's for 5:00 or later dismissals. So how would a 4:45 dismissal qualify for that? Not doubting you but  I'm missing something here.

PROUD MEMBER

It doesn't qualify for that.
My point is that the runs that get dismissed at 4:45 will now get an hour's pay.
BUT
The runs that get dismissed at 5:00 or later that get 2 hours pay will "provably" only get one hour's pay now.

Buzz

I see what you mean. Have to check on that. The MOA made no mention of the 5:00 outs so that might stay the same, not sure. (I didn't even know the 2 hours were a thing.)

PROUD MEMBER

It's definitely (or at least was, depending on the interpretation of new MOA) two hours for a 5:00pm or after dismissal. I know first hand. Use to do one of those runs out of RJJB on Amboy Rd just last year.

Buzz

Quote from: PROUD MEMBER on December 01, 2023, 06:23:32 PMIt's definitely (or at least was, depending on the interpretation of new MOA) two hours for a 5:00pm or after dismissal. I know first hand. Use to do one of those runs out of RJJB on Amboy Rd just last year.

Not doubting you at all, just was not aware that it was a contract provision or when it became one. (Thought it would just fall under the time-and-a-half overtime after 10 hours clause.)

Now the question is, did that stay the same and was the 4:30 clause added for the benefit of those who did not meet the 5:00 criteria?

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz, obviously that's the question and that's my point. Now it's up to you to find the out the answer!