To All Drivers and Matrons

Started by Ernie, April 26, 2013, 02:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

We know today has turned out to be a very dark day, Due to the actions of the contractors. Especially the owner of Pioneer. It is a very sad day when the members of Pioneer, who have dedicated their experience and sincere devotion and especially the professionalism to a company who has proved over and over it is the best in the industry. However, remember we must stay unified because as dark as it may seem today we will prevail. Do not allow this action to force any of the professional people we are to make any errors in our actions. I know this is a hardship on all of us on many levels. But I ask you ask to take a deep breath and don't be hasty.
I have received emails and information containing fact that we are going back to the table with the contractors to negotiable again. And while we wait for an answer from the NLRB, this is all a good step in the right direction. So, please as mad as this is getting us. I ask you all as your Shop Steward and friend to continue to walk with me to the finish line in victory. Which I believe will be ours.
Notices from the board of education have been sent to every contractor in lei of a mass text that has been sent through the industry stating that there will be a job action tomorrow industry wide. The board notified each contractor to look at their workers attendance record. If they believe there is any type of job action by a sick out, running purposely late or damage of equipment in any company. The board of education will react by decertifying said worker.
We have stayed strong this far and we are only weeks away from an NLRB decision. Which any intelligent person can see we will prevail.
Thank you all for your cooperation
God Bless you all
Ernie

Air_Brakes

Two questions please:  Did the mechanics take a pay cut?  Second...Did the Bronx garage drivers matrons and mechanics take a pay cut?  Thank you very much.  Sorry if it was already known or if it sounds silly.

Ernie

No the mechanics work on a separate contract than drivers and matrons. And yes the drivers and matrons in the Bronx also took a pay cut. All Drivers and matrons industry wide took the same pay cut.
And no question is silly to ask.

Air_Brakes

Thank you.  We r lucky to have committed reps like yourself and Andy. Times r tough and you guys are in an under appreciated position.  Many times yours hands r tied but you try your best.  That's indisputable. :thumbup:

Golfnut

I agree with AirBrakes. We are so very lucky to have Ernie and Andrew at the Helm! I do believe we will prevail as Ernie said !!!

WTF

Ernie, Your Request is Our Comand, But Just Say The Word And NO BUS Will Leave The Yard!!!!!!  :yes:  :wink_cheesy:

Buzz

We are all with you, Ern. You have more credibility amongst us than just about anybody in the union because you are in the ditches with us. What befalls us, befalls you. You are dealt the same cards as we are. You are one of us.

But I think we're only days away from the NLRB decision which, I believe, is expected by the end of the month. However, when it comes down in our favor, I would caution people about getting all giddy over it. The NLRB cannot enforce whatever they find. They're paper tigers. It won't mean much unless they get an injunction or the local uses that ruling to prevail in court. The point is, the NLRB "ruling" ... in and of itself ... will, most likely, not immediately change anything ... just as it didn't when they found our strike to be legal.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

terminator

Ernie
WE ALL STAND BEHIND YOU AND ANDY!
During the strike at the expense of your HEALTH you were there with us.
We do appreciate it.
WE WILL WIN THIS THING IF WE STICK TOGETHER!
Thank you so much for your time, effort, and advice.

Stugots

I would like to know if all the people in the union took a 7 1/2 % pay cut. 

Buzz

Quote from: Stugots on April 26, 2013, 04:20:32 PM
I would like to know if all the people in the union took a 7 1/2 % pay cut.

Actually, if this sticks (it won't), Michael has assured me all the members of the executive board would take the same cut.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

yabba

Quote from: Ernie on April 26, 2013, 02:55:31 AM
No the mechanics work on a separate contract than drivers and matrons. And yes the drivers and matrons in the Bronx also took a pay cut. All Drivers and matrons industry wide took the same pay cut.
And no question is silly to ask.

is that true ernie ...i thought the mechanics were always included in our contract..i know under sal they were and he got them along with the matrons better compensation..matron got a 1.00 an hour under raise  sal plus the regular percentage raise,and mechanics got larger tool allowances and a few personal days if i remeber right but it was all one contract...plus driver did great under sal numerous times...our pension was horrible but he was working on making it better plus the retires seen a 50.00 a month increase...boy if we only had him with us the past 6 months....

Ernie

The mechanics were under the same contract,but since the impass they have a a different contract than Drivers and Matrons

hognol

The mechanics sold out, make no mistake about that.  I really don't blame them.  If it were reverse, the drivers would have done the same.

mirrorcheck

Is it true now that May 8th aside contractors want to enter negotiations ASAP (well ahead of NLRB and injunction )?
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

wizardsi

From: Office of Public Affairs [mailto:OPA@schools.nyc.gov]
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 1:01 PM
To: Office of Public Affairs
Subject: NYC DOE - PRESS RELEASE - CHANCELLOR WALCOTT ANNOUNCES ESTIMATED SAVINGS FROM BUS BIDS RECEIVED THIS WINTER AND PLANS TO BID OUT ADDITIONAL CONTRACTS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 26, 2013

N-58, 2012-13

CHANCELLOR WALCOTT ANNOUNCES ESTIMATED SAVINGS FROM BUS BIDS RECEIVED THIS WINTER AND PLANS TO BID OUT ADDITIONAL CONTRACTS

The City Estimates Savings of $100 Million Over Five Years in Contracts Bid Out This Winter

Chancellor Dennis M. Walcott today announced the City would save an estimated $100 million over five years through savings secured in new bus contracts that were put out for bid last December. The Chancellor also announced plans to bid out another roughly 3,100 routes on April 30 for contracts expiring in 2014. These routes serve approximately 18,000 school-age students with disabilities during the school year and approximately 17,000 students during summer school.

"In our preliminary review of the new bus bids, we see an estimated savings of $100 million over five years and these savings will go directly to schools for our students and teachers," Chancellor Walcott said. "When we announced the request for bids, we said that through a competitive bidding process we would anticipate savings while maintaining the highest standards for safe and dependable yellow bus service for our students. We hope to see similar savings in the next round of bids we will be releasing at the end of the month."

The estimated $100 million savings is on top of the estimated savings of $95 million from Pre-Kindergarten bus contracts that were bid out in 2011, the first time the City bid out large bus contracts since 1979. In 1979, the Department of Education (DOE) spent $71 million per year on busing. Since then, the cost for busing has skyrocketed to $1.1 billion per year - an increase of about 1,550 percent.

In December, the DOE released a request for bids for five-year contracts for more than 1,100 school bus routes - about a sixth of DOE's total routes. These routes serve 22,500 students in kindergarten through 12th grade who have disabilities that require special transportation. The routes are covered by contracts that are set to expire on June 30, 2013. As a result of the request for bids, an unprecedented 65 vendors submitted bids. The DOE is reviewing these bids, which include bids from 40 new companies. It is likely that other new vendors will bid in the future as a result of opening the bidding process. In total, the DOE has contracts that cover the school year for 7,700 total bus routes that serve 152,000 students, 54,000 of whom have disabilities and require special transportation services, plus approximately 1,650 routes that run during the summer only.

Earlier this year, Local 1181 of the Amalgamated Transit Union, the largest bus driver and matron union, called a strike to protest the new bids without job guarantees. The DOE could not legally include job guarantees in the bids. Last year, the New York State Court of Appeals ruled that such a guarantee could not legally be included in DOE bus bids for Pre-K school bus services. The contracts resulting from these bids, however, will contain the same safety provisions and requirements that all bus drivers are certified and have completed mandatory trainings.

During the strike, the city assisted parents in finding alternative means of transportation. The DOE distributed 335,000 MetroCards for students and parents of youngsters and students with disabilities. Parents were also reimbursed for taxis and car services that they used to transport their children to school. The Taxi and Limousine Commission helped to make taxis and car service available. As of April 22, the DOE had paid out approximately $2 million in reimbursements to parents for taxis and car services used to transport their child during the strike. Because of the strike, the DOE withheld $76.8 million from bus companies who did not provide service to their routes during the strike.

###