Suggestion Box

Started by Buzz, February 03, 2022, 04:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steady

Hi Buzz. Last week the pump guys had one driver turn left by the office then swing right into where you have bus
#2 positioned.  Just saying. 

Buzz

QuoteHi Buzz. Last week the pump guys had one driver turn left by the office then swing right into where you have bus
#2 positioned.  Just saying. 

Really? That's odd. They usually have that area "coned" off ... like a "no-drive" zone (since the accident) which is why I didn't suggest it to get another bus at the pump. Wonder what that was about.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

PROUD MEMBER

It would never work for a few reasons.
1st It would probably cause traffic congestion on Arthur Kill Rd.
2nd With the gate entrance near the alley being narrow and the low wall between the gate and the sidewalk I'd guess at minimum once a week a driver would hit something.
3rd And most importantly. All gasoline vans (and possibly gasoline buses)are fueled on the drivers side of the van whereas diesel buses are fueled on the passenger side of the bus. If the buses were coming from and getting fueled from both directions than the vans wouldn't be able to get fuel.

Buzz

QuoteIt would never work for a few reasons.
1st It would probably cause traffic congestion on Arthur Kill Rd.
Traffic congestion? Seriously? 400 buses pulling out onto A.K. Rd. every morning and one bus at a time pulling back in is going to matter?

Quote2nd With the gate entrance near the alley being narrow and the low wall between the gate and the sidewalk I'd guess at minimum once a week a driver would hit something.
Years ago we used to line up on Arthur Kill Rd. (talk about congestion) and pull into the fuel alley all the time. I do not recall even one incident of a bus hitting the wall.

Quote3rd And most importantly. All gasoline vans (and possibly gasoline buses)are fueled on the drivers side of the van whereas diesel buses are fueled on the passenger side of the bus. If the buses were coming from and getting fueled from both directions than the vans wouldn't be able to get fuel.
Why not? First of all, vans would have to wait on line like everybody else instead of just darting across the driveway to get fueled ahead of everybody. If a van is fueling the bus coming from the fuel alley would have to wait until the van leaves. (Just as buses would have to wait for a van coming from the alley pulling to the right side of the pumps where Bus 1 is above.)  Not a problem. There's more than 10 times as many buses as vans.

You can either make it work for the greater good or find all kinds of reasons why it wouldn't. I think this would be making the best use of a very expensive fuel island.

A much simpler suggestion, have the fueler start pumping at 5AM or the latest 5:30AM, not 5:50 which is becoming the norm. By 6AM there already 10-12 buses lined up. One of the managers need to address the issue.

PROUD MEMBER

Or maybe even a simpler way is when the new pumps were installed they were spread out another 15' apart so two buses can be fueled at the same time on the same side.

Buzz

QuoteA much simpler suggestion, have the fueler start pumping at 5AM or the latest 5:30AM, not 5:50 which is becoming the norm. By 6AM there already 10-12 buses lined up. One of the managers need to address the issue.

Is that right? That explains why when I get on line at 6 a.m. the line is wrapped around the yard. Never realized that.

Initially, Steve was not going to have early morning fueling AT ALL. Owen helped him think the better of that.

Buzz

QuoteOr maybe even a simpler way is when the new pumps were installed they were spread out another 15' apart so two buses can be fueled at the same time on the same side.

Yep, that would have been better, or having 2 islands with 1 pump each instead of in a row ... like the old pumps.

But of course you understand, how long we wait on line is of no concern to the company. They pay us for 8 hours and couldn't give a shit less. I'm looking at it from how long lines tie up the yard, but I guess that doesn't matter either.

Kid24

It's also bad when people finish their AM and it's wrapped around to where the bus wash starts.

Inadequate planning and poor execution is the problem with this fuel line. It could easily be fixed to achieve more efficiency, if they want it!

Buzz

QuoteInadequate planning and poor execution is the problem with this fuel line. It could easily be fixed to achieve more efficiency, if they want it!

That's just it ... they DON'T want it. As I said before, they don't care how long we wait on line but shorter lines would make for less congestion in the yard.

LMAO

Buzz , I have a suggestion : turn your radio on so when someone gives you a heads up that their coming you don't pull up to the corner  :stop: 🤷‍♂️

Buzz

QuoteBuzz , I have a suggestion : turn your radio on so when someone gives you a heads up that their coming you don't pull up to the corner  :stop: 🤷‍♂️

I heard you, and answered you ... and I waited a little while. Where did you radio from, Clarke Ave? You took long enough. And by the way, you don't tell a senior man, "I'm coming through," ... You say, "Requesting right of way, SIR" ...  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:

Slowbus

Excuse my ignorance but What's the point of getting gas twice a week ?

Kid24

Quote from: Slowbus on February 08, 2022, 03:11:22 PMExcuse my ignorance but What's the point of getting gas twice a week ?

I dont think it should be "Mandatory" but some drivers have runs where they need to fill up twice a week BUT they force the issue so the mechanics check the bud out which times they do and times they don't