Strike Vote

Started by PROUD MEMBER, March 31, 2023, 07:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PROUD MEMBER

We were told today that there have been ongoing negotiations with the latest being this morning. The Union stated the these negotiations including this morning's have gone nowhere and be prepared for a Strike Vote in May. For those of you that may not know if we do have a vote and if the majority of the members vote yes that doesn't mean that we will definitely go out on strike. What it does mean is that we the members give our Reps the authority to use a possible strike as a bargaining chip in the negotiations. But just remember if we vote yes and the companies and Union do not reach an agreement on a new contract and the Union says we're going out, then we're going out!
I don't know the particulars of what our Representatives have been asking for except that they're asking for everything back that we lost in 2013.
Does that mean that they are asking that "New Hires" and those with seniority are all under the same contract??? I don't know.
Does that mean that they are asking that all NYC Companies that have contracts with 1181 will all be under the same contract again? I don't know.
Or does it mean that we're just trying to get back specific things such as holidays, 8 hours instead of 4 hours on non DOE days, etc., etc.? I don't know.
All three of the above mentioned are things that we lost (or were changed) in 2013.
My advice and opinion to myself and to all is to ask our Steward and Delegate questions before a vote and if there is one more Union Meeting in April before a strike vote in May, to go to that meeting and speak up and ask questions.
I would not take this lightly and I would not just vote and go by what others suggest.
Having said that, my opinion, if there is a vote I'm already leaning towards NO but I will do exactly what I said and inquire into detail before I make my final decision.

Buzz

You raise some good questions and we should know what is in the "7 pages" of demands we hear about.

Also, it was good that you pointed out that voting for a strike does not automatically put us on strike. It just gives the union the authority to call a strike when they feel there is no other option.

If they can't get agreement on things that make it significantly better for those hired since 2013 I could certainly understand them voting to strike. Right now, there are more people in this union hired since 2013 than prior, so it is very likely that a strike vote would carry.

Being we were told that we would have to make a trip to Queens we apparently would be voting in person rather than mail.
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

By the way, for everyone's edification, unemployment rules have changed. You can now claim unemployment due to a strike after 2 weeks (14 days).

https://dol.ny.gov/system/files/documents/2021/01/p835.pdf
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

All 2013 hires should vote to strike if they are not "caught up". They are the future of the union, and the pension. We need alot more of them to be hired so the extra work can stop and all of our financial futures is better guaranteed.