Teachers & Trips

Started by Bussin4Livin, May 20, 2023, 10:20:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bussin4Livin

A teacher asked me yesterday at my PM school is there traffic today because we got a lot of buses coming in late? I said no we got tons of trips and we got tons of teachers who don't know the difference of leaving at 1:30 and being back at 1:30 and they take advantage of that to stay out as long as they can making us late to our afternoon schools.

Buzz

That's because there are no consequences to them if they cause you to be late for your p.m. schools. OPT doesn't  enforce their own rules with these teachers. OPT says,  "The driver and teacher must agree on a departure time from the trip destination to arrive back at the school by 1:30 PM before leaving school." And, "Teachers risk having field trip privileges withdrawn from their school if they delay the return to the school unnecessarily" ... which we know is a joke.  https://infohub.nyced.org/working-with-the-doe/vendors/transportation-vendors/field-trip-procedures

As for pick-ups for trips, OPT is self-contradictory. In one place it says "Trips must leave the school after 9:30 AM ..." https://infohub.nyced.org/in-our-schools/operations/transportation-resources-for-schools In another place it says "Buses should arrive at the school for the field trip as soon as possible after the last morning drop-off" ... https://infohub.nyced.org/working-with-the-doe/vendors/transportation-vendors/field-trip-procedures  ... 9 :30 used to be the rule.

OPT also says, "Trips cannot service multiple destinations" yet I know of instances when drivers have called in that "the teacher wants me to stop at ..." and often are told by the office to do so. This shouldn't be.

Trips are out of control. According  to Chancellor's regulation, "All school trips should have an educational or appropriate celebratory focus and be viewed as an extension of the curriculum and the learning environment." Well, we all know that's a joke. https://www.schools.nyc.gov/docs/default-source/default-document-library/a-670-english
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Bussin4Livin

That's why I laugh when they question a driver who has a trip why he is late to his PM school like it's his fault lol

Slowbus

trips are joke you're told to be there at 9:30 you get there you let them know while fellow drivers in front of the school argue over seniority and who should take the passengers the students come out 2 hours later once they on the bus teachers sit in the front and talk to each other while the back of the bus is burning 🔥 they just don't care they want you to drive the bus and do their job at the same time .then once you arrive to the destination they tell you don't go nowhere we only going to be 1 hour tops that hour turns into 2 and half while you might be hungry or you want to use the restroom some places you can't even leave the bus because there's no place to park it sucks that we have to put up with this bs and to top it off we don't even get compensated accordingly.

Bussin4Livin

That's why the whole "get there" 15 mins before the trip makes no sense, the teachers make you wait another 20-30 min after the pick up time anyway. The best is the city trips you tell them be on the bus by 9:30 because we can only take the HOV until ten, do they? No, so we are stuck in traffic all to turn around in an hour as come back. Non of my trips have been educational, just a way for teachers to be out of the building because when they are on the trips all you have to hear about are their future trips.

Slowbus

Quote from: Bussin4Livin on May 22, 2023, 12:32:45 PMThat's why the whole "get there" 15 mins before the trip makes no sense, the teachers make you wait another 20-30 min after the pick up time anyway. The best is the city trips you tell them be on the bus by 9:30 because we can only take the HOV until ten, do they? No, so we are stuck in traffic all to turn around in an hour as come back. Non of my trips have been educational, just a way for teachers to be out of the building because when they are on the trips all you have to hear about are their future trips.
nothing make sense here there is nothing educational about trips they love being stuck in traffic more time  on the bus = less time working

faceit

Do your trip take your time sit in traffic do the speed limit be late for your pm school and hopefully that trip teacher will get in trouble.. if enough drivers do this opt would have to do something about it....
All lives matter

Buzz

Quotethen once you arrive to the destination they tell you don't go nowhere we only going to be 1 hour tops that hour turns into 2 and half while you might be hungry or you want to use the restroom some places you can't even leave the bus because there's no place to park it sucks that we have to put up with this bs and to top it off we don't even get compensated accordingly.

Actually, it occurs to me that if you don't get a lunch hour between the hours of 11 and 2 that you are entitled to an hour's pay. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know this is still "a thing" but there might be a stipulation that you have to call it in while you're on the trip. Check with Anthony.

Buzz

QuoteDo your trip take your time sit in traffic do the speed limit be late for your pm school and hopefully that trip teacher will get in trouble.. if enough drivers do this opt would have to do something about it....
I won't hold my breath waiting for a teacher to get in trouble but if you're late enough they might have to get somebody to cover your afternoon schools. But you're right ... don't rush or take chances to be on time.

PROUD MEMBER

Buzz you are correct with regards to lunch hour pay. I recall when I use to do trips specifically to Manhattan and sometimes by the time we dropped them off at their destination it was already close to 11:00 and had to pick them back up by 12:30pm. And with the city traffic and lack of finding parking I'd just have to drive around for an hour or more and go back and get them. I would put in for the hour and get paid. That was probably 15 years ago but I never heard anything about that still not being in effect as of today.

Buzz

Thanks for confirming, PROUD MEMBER. I'm sure they like keeping the newer guys in the dark about this ... they sure don't advertise it ... LOL.

Bussin4Livin

Quote from: Buzz on May 22, 2023, 07:16:01 PMThanks for confirming, PROUD MEMBER. I'm sure they like keeping the newer guys in the dark about this ... they sure don't advertise it ... LOL.

First I'm hearing about this in almost 4 years in being here lol

docjones

Question about trips. If a driver with Trip run has more seniority then a driver with a NO trip run, and there is an extra bus, who has the right to leave?

faceit

All lives matter

Buzz

QuoteQuestion about trips. If a driver with Trip run has more seniority then a driver with a NO trip run, and there is an extra bus, who has the right to leave?

Rock, paper, scissors.  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

(Good question ... I could see arguments for both sides.)