“Food for Thought”

Started by mirrorcheck, November 17, 2022, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slowbus

Quote from: Buzz on November 19, 2022, 01:58:12 PM
QuoteJust saw my check today 324 dollars where do I find motivation to get up and get the bus if I was making more money when I was 12 .

I agree and sympathize with you guys 100%. This current contract screwed you guys royally. It's not fair at all.

The thing I don't understand is, if you knew this when you signed on, why did you accept such a lousy deal and take the job?
I was with reliant for 3 years where I got my cdl b they trained me well paid for everything gave me a bonus I drove a brand new van used to get every holiday pay everything was going great then covid hits,schools were closed then opened back up reliant tells me there's no enough runs for me to get one on the island because I didn't have enough seniority and they needed drivers in Greenpoint Brooklyn  I would have to commute and stay in Brooklyn until I finish my run everyday did it for a few then called union and explained the situation union said to go to pioneer ,pioneer had plenty runs on the island .went to pioneer where I was received with open arms everything was peaches and cream then later as am getting used to pioneer that's where I start finding out that it wasn't the same as reliant .

Slowbus

Quote from: Kid24 on November 19, 2022, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: Buzz on November 19, 2022, 01:58:12 PM
QuoteJust saw my check today 324 dollars where do I find motivation to get up and get the bus if I was making more money when I was 12 .

I agree and sympathize with you guys 100%. This current contract screwed you guys royally. It's not fair at all.

The thing I don't understand is, if you knew this when you signed on, why did you accept such a lousy deal and take the job?

They withheld a lot of shit at the time of hire to the point you find a shit load out working on the job. I was shown and given a different piece of paper contract wise at the time of the
Hire 3 years ago that is opposite of what it actually is.
💯💯💯 and they still doing that to this day that's why a lot of people leave and the ones with more tolerance stay

Buzz

QuoteI was with reliant for 3 years where I got my cdl b they trained me well paid for everything gave me a bonus I drove a brand new van used to get every holiday pay everything was going great then covid hits... went to pioneer where I was received with open arms everything was peaches and cream then later as am getting used to pioneer that's where I start finding out that it wasn't the same as reliant .

I don't understand. To my knowledge, Reliant had the same contract we did. What year did you start with Reliant? What year did you start with Pioneer?
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

So let me understand something. You guys saying things like, "They withheld a lot of shit at the time of hire" or, "everything was peaches and cream" [when you started]. Y'all telling me that Andy didn't show you a sheet like this before you were actually hired (the figures may have been different depending on what year)?

Andy told me he showed this to EVERY prospective driver. You telling me Andy was lying to me? Or was it that you just needed a job at the time and you didn't pay attention to the details and now the reality is setting and you're going to say you didn't know? You were conned into taking the job? Is that it? I'm trying to understand.

new hires.jpg

Buzz, I agree with you that all of this information was, and still is, available to any interested potential new hire. I believe a lot of the new hires are from folded bus companies, or from Amazon. These hires needed a job and may not have looked too deep into what they were signing on for. Unfortunately, this job is not a career. It is a retirement job for those that are already retired from something else. The last two contracts which we were persuaded to approve by our union officials has made us take many many steps backwards. This not only affects the newer hires, but will affect all of us in the long term.  :bomb:

Buzz

QuoteBuzz, I agree with you that all of this information was, and still is, available to any interested potential new hire. I believe a lot of the new hires are from folded bus companies, or from Amazon. These hires needed a job and may not have looked too deep into what they were signing on for.

Yes, I think that's exactly it. Their anticipation of getting the job kind of didn't let that negative information register, so to speak.

Although I don't agree that this information was withheld, I fully sympathize with their complaints. We need one contract for everybody.

QuoteUnfortunately, this job is not a career. It is a retirement job for those that are already retired from something else. The last two contracts which we were persuaded to approve by our union officials has made us take many many steps backwards. This not only affects the newer hires, but will affect all of us in the long term.  :bomb:

With the current contract for new hires it apparently isn't even a retirement job any more. Retired city employees used to be tripping over one another trying to get in the door. Not the case any more and it won't change unless the contract for them gets much better.

Slowbus

Quote from: Buzz on November 22, 2022, 05:49:26 PM
QuoteBuzz, I agree with you that all of this information was, and still is, available to any interested potential new hire. I believe a lot of the new hires are from folded bus companies, or from Amazon. These hires needed a job and may not have looked too deep into what they were signing on for.

Yes, I think that's exactly it. Their anticipation of getting the job kind of didn't let that negative information register, so to speak.

Although I don't agree that this information was withheld, I fully sympathize with their complaints. We need one contract for everybody.

QuoteUnfortunately, this job is not a career. It is a retirement job for those that are already retired from something else. The last two contracts which we were persuaded to approve by our union officials has made us take many many steps backwards. This not only affects the newer hires, but will affect all of us in the long term.  :bomb:

With the current contract for new hires it apparently isn't even a retirement job any more. Retired city employees used to be tripping over one another trying to get in the door. Not the case any more and it won't change unless the contract for them gets much better.
I wonder 💭 why 😂

Kid24

This is what I was handed the day I fist met pioneer for a job in 2019 B035E045-E760-40BE-A4F0-15016D4652D9.jpeg

Kid24

This needs to start being looked at as an actual job as well not just a retirement job. Gotta start looking at the future and protecting drivers to carry out the industry with a better contract to keep and bring drivers in

Slowbus

Quote from: Kid24 on November 22, 2022, 06:20:02 PMThis is what I was handed the day I fist met pioneer for a job in 2019 B035E045-E760-40BE-A4F0-15016D4652D9.jpeg
I met Anthony after I was already working and it was to order uniforms nothing else was never handed anything + this paper says nothing about the job

Slowbus

Quote from: Kid24 on November 22, 2022, 06:25:09 PMThis needs to start being looked at as an actual job as well not just a retirement job. Gotta start looking at the future and protecting drivers to carry out the industry with a better contract to keep and bring drivers in
I want to see a retiree doing my run im 34 and in perfect health and when I get off the bus at the end of the day I need epson salt and Tylenol

Slowbus

Quote from: 04012013 on November 22, 2022, 05:01:31 PMBuzz, I agree with you that all of this information was, and still is, available to any interested potential new hire. I believe a lot of the new hires are from folded bus companies, or from Amazon. These hires needed a job and may not have looked too deep into what they were signing on for. Unfortunately, this job is not a career. It is a retirement job for those that are already retired from something else. The last two contracts which we were persuaded to approve by our union officials has made us take many many steps backwards. This not only affects the newer hires, but will affect all of us in the long term.  :bomb:
off course they are going to persuade they are good 💰💰💰💰💰but what about the little guys

Buzz

Quote from: Kid24 on November 22, 2022, 06:20:02 PMThis is what I was handed the day I fist met pioneer for a job in 2019

Okay, so what is it that you weren't told?

Buzz

QuoteI met Anthony after I was already working and it was to order uniforms nothing else was never handed anything + this paper says nothing about the job

If you're saying you were never given this before you were hired I'll have to take you word for it, but you're a rare exception.

But what do you mean it says nothing about the job? It's everything ... especially the negatives ... in a nutshell.

Kid24

Quote from: Buzz on November 22, 2022, 07:12:36 PM
QuoteI met Anthony after I was already working and it was to order uniforms nothing else was never handed anything + this paper says nothing about the job

If you're saying you were never given this before you were hired I'll have to take you word for it, but you're a rare exception.

But what do you mean it says nothing about the job? It's everything ... especially the negatives ... in a nutshell.

Not sure at the top of my head but with other holidays and certain situations I was told differently with this paper I got till I finally got the actual contract