Union Meeting Jan. 31

Started by Buzz, January 27, 2023, 07:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Buzz

I just learned that a strike vote was held at this meeting and it passed.

I find it very unusual that it wasn't announced as a "strike vote meeting" as they have been in the past. They are usually very well attended. Unless this wasn't "The" strike vote and maybe just a "feeler." New president, new ways I guess.

mirrorcheck

That's interesting . Was it a strike vote for Pioneer ? Did each company have a vote on this issue ? No "quorum " needed ? Just asking cause if we no longer collectively bargain as one union and each company is in a separate case wondering what happened .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

It wouldn't be just for Pioneer. It would be all of 1181.

But now I'm just finding out from somebody who was actually at the meeting that THERE WAS NO STRIKE VOTE.

I found this out by questioning why it was not announced as a "Strike Vote" meeting ... as is usually done and usually results in a good turnout.

I'm sure there will be one soon and hopefully it WILL be announced in advanced. (I'm willing to bet many of the guys hired from 2013 on will attend.)

mirrorcheck

So for this contract any new contracts that are up are going to be negotiated as one ???
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Buzz

Quote from: mirrorcheck on February 13, 2023, 07:17:51 PMSo for this contract any new contracts that are up are going to be negotiated as one ???

No ... not necessarily, unfortunately.

PROUD MEMBER

If we're not going to go back to one contract how could there possibly (if needed) be one strike vote for all the different contracts?
Over the years and last few contracts and old age it's hard to keep track but I'm pretty sure that if there is going to be a strike vote that it would be held at each property. Whether it be an actual in person at each yard where members would raise their hand yes or no.
Or it be a paper ballot that each of us fill out.

Buzz

Well, I agree with you but I don't think we were all one contract the last time we went on strike so ...

Strike vote at each property ... is that what we did last time? Can't remember.

All I remember is not even being able to get in to John Adams high school for a strike vote meeting many years ago and barely getting in one at Christ the King. That's how many people used to attend.

PROUD MEMBER

We were all definitely under one contract when went on strike.

PROUD MEMBER

And the reason you couldn't get into those votes was bc we were still all under one contract and members from all companies were there.
Obviously now there couldn't be a strike vote at a General Membership meeting bc different 1181 companies of NYC have different contracts.
Proof of that would be if right now Neil broke our contract then we would be able to strike without fear but Reliant 1181 Members would not be able to honor us and also strike bc their under a different contract.

Buzz

Yes but Reliant is no longer and I think NYCSBUS is all 1181 ... not positive of that but I think so. Therefore, if 1181 went out it would include them.

PROUD MEMBER

Ur correct it's not called Reliant anymore but ur missing my point. Even though we're both 1181 they have a different contract then us that possibly even ends at a different time then ours. Therefore if we went out, they couldn't and it'd be the same if they went out. That's pretty much in black & white unless I'm missing something.

Buzz

Did not the part of Reliant that was 1181 go out with us last time? (Legacy company, same contract.) I really don't recall.