Cutting Run Coverage Hours

Started by Buzz, January 22, 2022, 02:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz

Well, I guess by now it's no secret that the company is looking to cut pay for covering runs. They want to cut 4 and 8 hours down to 2 to 4 hours ... or better.

According to the contract, I believe it's worded that the company has to pay "actual time" for additional work covered. However, it has become customary over a number of years to be paid 2 hours for covering a school and 4 hours for either an a.m. or p.m. run.

Therefore, people who volunteer to do extra work will asked to do it at a fraction of what they were previously paid. In other words, cut your own throat! If it is voluntary, you can refuse it but if you agree to it you should report the pay reduction to the shop steward.

If you are told to do it and it fits into your run (or before/after your run) you cannot refuse to do it but should also report if you are paid less than the 2 or 4 hours you would normally be paid.

Yeah, every company looks to save money. But I just can't understand punishing the people who cover your ass and make your company work!

Carmine does an absolutely amazing job at getting work covered. (I'm told it's nearly 200 individual school runs a day that have to be covered.) I honestly don't know how he deals with the stress. Why you would want to make it virtually impossible for him to be able to cover all that work is beyond me.

However, we're being told that if the cuts aren't made that the company will turn runs back in to the DOE. How does that make sense? To me this is a completely manufactured crisis. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot ...
I am patient with stupidity, but not with those who are proud of it.

Kid24

Well that's one way to piss off your drivers who carry the company. This isn't going to be pretty and definitely not good with the new contract coming up that needs to be better than what it is. Cheap cheap cheap

mirrorcheck

Up until , at the top , he understand we are actually after the EXACT same thing that he wants which is money. We are on the same side . We are actual Partners with no ESOP cause those buses don't move if we don't come in. The shortage in drivers is for a real reason . I hope the union drives home this point . There are so many ways we can all benefit and be happy. It can't always one sided .
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Kid24

QuoteUp until , at the top , he understand we are actually after the EXACT same thing that he wants which is money. We are on the same side . We are actual Partners with no ESOP cause those buses don't move if we don't come in. The shortage in drivers is for a real reason . I hope the union drives home this point . There are so many ways we can all benefit and be happy. It can't always one sided .

It's not going to be one sided...it's going to benefit everyone at the top of the food chain and screw people over in the new contract. The only way you solve the new contract issue is put everyone under the same contract so there is no more separation and whom is better than whom. The pay needs to change drastically. As far as the cutting the OT hours that isn't a show of good faith in this who are carrying your company at the moment in shitty weather, extreme bus issues and many other issues us drivers have to deal with by doing multiple runs.

mirrorcheck

This contract is exactly what the government tries to do. Divide US at every level and puts us against each other . Once it went to individual company and now more with wide negotiation then the next steps was to further divide inside the company with everyone at different  levels .
      I will say this it was a nice move at least seeing how shitty that medical was abs he gave back some to the lower guys and they can take home
More per week.
Years of inaction and corruption has paved the way for the Devil to ride in and take what he pleases.

Kid24

QuoteThis contract is exactly what the government tries to do. Divide US at every level and puts us against each other . Once it went to individual company and now more with wide negotiation then the next steps was to further divide inside the company with everyone at different  levels .
      I will say this it was a nice move at least seeing how shitty that medical was abs he gave back some to the lower guys and they can take home
More per week.

They still gotta do better for the next contract....

mirrorcheck

wheresmymoney!

is that even legal? to not pay us what we have coming to us?  what we earn?  i hope the union can right this wrong.  seems like its more of money saver to not pay new drivers benefits and salary and just pay the drivers they have to cover the work.  or am i missing something here. 

Buzz

Quoteis that even legal? to not pay us what we have coming to us?  what we earn?  i hope the union can right this wrong.  seems like its more of money saver to not pay new drivers benefits and salary and just pay the drivers they have to cover the work.  or am i missing something here. 

Well, according to contract they do not have to pay at the rates they are but pay only for the "actual time" it takes to do the other work. However, it has been a "past practice" and the union believes that is the grounds for bringing the company to arbitration.

And yes, of course they save money not paying pension and welfare for another driver, but I guess it's never enough.

wheresmymoney!

Also we know he's not going to give the runs back bcz he'll lose a ridiculous amount of money much more than he's spending to cover the work I guess it's like someone else said it's never enough for the profit margin and we're going to suffer the consequences.  Union needs to fight for us arbitration seems like a good idea.

Kid24

Drivers aren't going to do it for half the pay if that and deny it and then he will be the one that gets fined for runs not getting covered. This day in age he needs to start treating and paying his drivers the way they should be. As I keep saying this is not good going into the new contract. People WILL leave if they don't seeing dinner at the table then crumbs on the floor. The union needs to do right by us

Buzz

QuoteDrivers aren't going to do it for half the pay if that and deny it

Don't be so sure of that. There are some that would prostitute their mothers for an extra buck.

Kid24

Lmaooo. Good point but I don't think many that were getting 20-30 hours OT alone aren't going to settle for way less than that. Time for drivers and the union to take a stand. He probably saw like 30-40 drivers now getting OT compared to pre covid where it wasn't that many and now wants to be cheap and thinks by cutting medical in half is the answer? It's not the answer is putting everyone on the same contract and upping the pay

Slowbus

Just don't offer yourself to cover extra work is that simple. So far this year I covered once within my area and let me tell you the stress and aggravation is just not worth it let them hire more drivers and get their act together we shouldn't care if they "loose the run" that's manipulation for drivers to feel bad 😢 I drove for another company for 2 years before coming to pioneer and they had the same manipulative tactics

Kid24

My situation of doing OT is I would get offered 4 hours(I'd be dumb not to take it) and he would get someone to cover my pm school. There were also times I got offered 2 hours and had to still do my PM school if I got there late or IF it were way out of the way I'd do the 2 hour coverage and he would send someone to my PM. Now same situation but got less pay I think I would straight up say I don't want anymore OT. As stated before this is a company issue not current driver situation. I see a lot of drivers saying no to OT if the pay ain't there. Again not our problem they are short drivers and they want to pay us less for helping the company out? Company is worth millions on paper now isn't the time to be shady about it.